For interpreters, improving our memory is important! We have to remember what we hear so we can interpret it.
This blog post mentions quite a few important topics:
- A good night’s sleep
- Spending time with friends
- Having fun
- Not stressing out too much
- Eating the right things (wine, but not too much!)
- Brain workouts
- Mnemonic devices – or ways to break down what we hear so we can remember it.
- And be sure to check the “5 simple tricks to sharpen thinking and memory skills”! You don’t want to miss them!
Enjoy, and remember! You can’t interpret what you don’t remember! So, always ask the person you are interpreting for to stop when you are about 80% of the way through your memory capacity. Don’t go past it, or you will always be missing the last bit of what they said. After two or three times, you will get used to each other’s rhythm, and you will be fine.