Bilingual vs. interpreter/translator
According to the FBI, only 40% of those who have the necessary language proficiency skills pass their translation test! Translation and interpretation involve specialized skills beyond language proficiency. This series on bilingualism, by Eta Trabing, highlights the additional skills bilingual people need to be translators or interpreters.
The art of translation
A translation is more than taking words from one language and putting them into another one. Since each language exists in the context of a culture, my goal is that the reader of the translation understands the same message as the reader of the original text. In other words, the text shouldn’t sound like a translation.
My translation process is based on the ASTM standards for translation and interpreting.
One of my goals is to make your translation project as easy for you as possible. While your project will be handled in a way best suited to your unique situation, the following steps are a general guide to what you can expect when we start our work together.
- When you call or email me, we will start our collaboration.
- Together, we will evaluate your translation needs using the worksheet I have developed based on ASTM Standards.
- Translations always involve working with a fully qualified colleague to do a full review of the translation. Interpreting always involves working with a partner for consecutive sessions of over two hours and simultaneous sessions of one hour.
- You can either send me a Purchase Order or I can issue a contract with the details of price, deadlines, and scope that we have agreed on, payable in 30 days net.
- I always ask a trusted Mexican colleague to review my work, assuring that between her Mexican perspective and my Argentine perspective you will receive a quality product. I have worked with Gabriela Penrod for several years, and we have an excellent working relationship.
- Once I deliver the translation, I am available to make any minor changes at no charge for 30 days.
Why does Gaucha Translations focus on edited translations? Many companies have separate rates for translation and editing. I provide edited translations. I do not deliver unedited translations to most clients. I look forward to learning more about your project!